At 10:30 pm we headed up to the hospital where we waited in Triage for the "room with a tub." In triage they checked me and I was 4cm dilated. This was a big deal, because I had been 1cm at my last 3 appts (that 3 different weekly appts). It also meant - I was progressing (as far as they knew) so they would not be sending us home. Once in our room we drew a hot bath where I spent the next hour. This was about 12-1am I think? Maybe. When I got out they checked me and I was at 6cm. At that time we asked them to go ahead and get the anesthesiologist on-call to come in. I still wasn't sure if I'd be having an epidural, but they said he was an hour away, so I kept thinking - "what if I want one in an hour?" He arrived at 2:30 and I had an epidural. After it kicked in they checked me again - 8.5cm and broke my water. Mike and I relaxed the next hour and when they came in to check me again, I hadn't progressed. Bummer...
They wanted to give me pitocin (used to help progress/induce labor) when I told him I felt like I should push. Our midwife, said, "Okay, why don't we try that first." So the pushing began - at 3:45am. My first push the baby crowned. We used a mirror - which I never thought I would do, and Mike touched the baby's head - which I definitely never thought he would do. 14 minutes later (at least the nurses claim) Brooks Joseph Netzer was placed on my lap. The significance of time is that Mike and I were both born at 3:59am which we had in fact shared with the nurses. When I started pushing - we thought there was no way we'd have him before 4am, but when the time was called the nurse said - it's 3:59am. I don't know if there was verification or not, I'm just letting you know what the nurse saw!

So here are his stats:


Name: Brooks Joseph
DOB: 10/19/08 - his due date!
Weight: 7lbs. 13oz.
Length: 19.25 inches
Hair: yes - brown
Eyes: yes - TBD
Fingers: 10 long ones
Toes: 10 long ones
Cuteness (scale 1-10): 10 most def.
Here are some pics. They might be the only ones for a while so relish them!

5 comments:
YAY! this is what I've been waiting for....now i'm going to go read it.
i'm so happy!
i just told mike to throw me a bone! on facebook - so thanks for this :-) and please apologize for me
also, i'm in agreement: brooks is def a 10!!
WOW!!! that is amazing! Congrats on your son. He is amazing. Thanks for sharing the story! I love it. we love you guys!
I've been checking every day to find out the details. So glad it went smoothly. No joke, that very night/early morning, I woke up to use the bathroom (something that hasn't stopped since birthing my last child :-(), thought of you and prayed that you'd have a safe and "easy" delivery. Who knew?! God did, I guess :-)!
What a beautiful baby and how fun to begin this adventure called parenthood. You are in our prayers,
Beth Anne
Congratulations to both of you! We are thrilled to have another GREAT nephew! Yes! Look forward to more pictures and stories. Be ready to be tired ALL of the time! Enjoy this new chapter in your lives.
Welcome Brooks Joseph!
Great Aunt Jan Lumsden :)
Post a Comment